Celebrating 125 Years!
Member Sherri receives award for Service to America from Honorary Regent Mary Jane, and NW District Director Tracy. September 2022
After being admitted to the National Society, thirteen women formed the Presque Isle Chapter, DAR, on October 11,1897 in Erie, Pennsylvania. In 2022, Presque Isle Chapter, DAR, celebrated its 125th year!
Presque Isle Chapter National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, located in Erie, Pennsylvania, was named for a peninsula - four miles long and one and a half miles at its greatest width - extending into Lake Erie. According to its original inhabitants, the Eriez people, the peninsula was formed by the Great Spirit, who laid his outstretched arm into the lake to provide safety and protection for future generations of Eriez ("cat") People.
Erie is a city in and the county seat of Erie County, Pennsylvania, United States.
Named for the Native American tribe that resided along the lake's southern shore, Erie is the fifth-largest city in Pennsylvania, as well as the largest city in Northwestern Pennsylvania, with a population of approximately 94,000. The Erie metropolitan area, equivalent to all of Erie County, has about 266,000 residents.
Erie is situated between Buffalo, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. Its manufacturing sector remains prominent in the local economy, though insurance, health care, higher education, technology, service industries and tourism are emerging as significant economic drivers. Over four million people visit Erie during summer months for recreation at Presque Isle State Park, as well as attractions such as an indoor water park, Splash Lagoon, an amusement park, Waldameer Park, and Presque Isle Downs Casino and Horse Racetrack.
Erie is known as the "Flagship City" because of its status as the home port of Oliver Hazard Perry's flagship, U.S. Brig Niagara, a two masted square rigged tall ship that sails the Great Lakes still today. The city has also been called the "Gem City" because of the sparkling lake.
In 2012, Erie hosted the Perry 200 Commemoration, celebrating 200 years of peace between England, America and Canada following the War of 1812 and Battle of Lake Erie.
The Erie Land Light, also known as the Old Presque Isle Light,
is one of the three lighthouses in Erie, along with the Presque
Isle Light and the North Pier Light. The Land Lighthouse is sit-
uated on the bluffs overlooking the lake in Lighthouse Park
east of downtown Erie.
The Land Lighthouse was constructed in 1818, the first built by
the United States on the Great Lakes, and the land it was built
on was granted by newly-elected President George Washington
in the 1790's. Because of his visit to Fort Le Boeuf in 1753 as an
emissary of the British Government, President Washington well
knew the strategic benefits of the area, and the importance of
establishing oversight of Lake Erie's lucrative ports.
Erie's Land Light is a visual symbol of Presque Isle Chapter,
DAR, Members who shine their Light of Service to God, Home,
and Country on the Erie Community.
Presque Isle State Park is a 3,112-acre Pennsylvania state park on an arching, sandy peninsula that juts into Lake Erie, 4 miles west of the city of Erie, Erie County, Pennsylvania, in the United States.This photo, taken from a beach on Presque Isle State Park, depicts one of Erie's incredible sunsets.
The Erie Land Lighthouse